Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!


I try to keep it strictly boating related here on SS, but I couldn't resist taking a moment to wish all three of my readers a very happy Thanksgiving. I sincerely hope that you enjoy some down-time with your family, enjoying whatever old or new traditions you have in store this year.

November is the time to be thankful, a time to remember and to embrace those who enrich our lives. Thanksgiving was originally in celebration of the good crops and abundance of food, yet today we have more to be thankful for than our forefathers. Today we eat turkey and cranberry sauce and forget to say, a simple, ‘Thank you.’ I, for one can think of a number of reasons why I am - and should be - thankful. I am thankful for many people - my wife Janet, our son Dylan, who is growing into a fine young man any parent would be proud of. I am also very grateful to have gainful employment and the means to afford the wonderful hobby of sailing. I am very blessed and I know it.

In closing, I'd like to leave you with a few of my favorite Thanksgiving quotes:

 "Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving." ~W.T. Purkiser

"For, after all, put it as we may to ourselves, we are all of us from birth to death guests at a table which we did not spread. The sun, the earth, love, friends, our very breath are parts of the banquet.... Shall we think of the day as a chance to come nearer to our Host, and to find out something of Him who has fed us so long?"
~Rebecca Harding Davis

"I have strong doubts that the first Thanksgiving even remotely resembled the "history" I was told in second grade. But considering that (when it comes to holidays) mainstream America's traditions tend to be over-eating, shopping, or getting drunk, I suppose it's a miracle that the concept of giving thanks even surfaces at all."
~Ellen Orleans

"May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off of your thighs!"
~Grandpa Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment